The bridges, that is. Fifteen bridges today, count ’em, fifteen. Between the wind, the rain and fighting the current, we’re exhausted. The plan was to drop the hook in Middle River and stay tonight and tomorrow, getting some laundry done in the process. When we got to the anchorage we didn’t like what we saw. There was room for maybe one more boat and since it was forecast to blow 20-25 tonight, Michele just didn’t feel comfortable dropping the hook and being so close to the other boats. To tell the truth, I didn’t feel all that great about it either. So we backtracked about a quarter mile to where there was an open bend and another canal that intersected the main canal. Great spot, plenty of swing room, only one problem, it was 25 feet deep. This meant that I had to lay out at least 125 foot of chain and with the weather coming, Michele was not a happy camper with that idea.
Next, I tried to raise another cat that was in Lake Worth with us and followed us today down the river. They had chosen Lake Sylvia, but I questioned this choice because I knew it would be jammed with folks waiting to cross over the stream. When I finally got a hold of him, he confirmed that, indeed, Lake Sylvia was full. He had waited until a dayboat left and then grabbed that spot. At this point Michele is really upset and I’m upset too. It bothers me seeing her upset about having to worry about not having a good hook set or being too close to other boats. Then I feel guilty because maybe I could have planned a little better. Then I remind myself that hey, it is what is and we had no way of knowing if the anchorages had room or not. Worst case scenario was that we go back seven miles through four bridges and drop the hook in Lake Santa Barbara.
Then I remembered that Las Olas marina had a few mooring balls across from the marina proper. So I called them up and sure enough there were two left. I tried to reserve a ball, but it was first come, first served. Looked at the clock and it was 2:20 which meant the Las Olas bridge just closed and would not open again for an hour. Dang. No way were we gonna fight the wind and current for an hour, so we dropped the hook just outside the channel and waited. At 3:15 Las Olas opened and we slid through dodging all the other boats in the area. The balls were just after the bridge and Michele made an absolutely perfect approach in the wind and we were hooked up. No muss, no fuss! As our friend Terry would say, ” nothing to see here”. 🙂 The real shock came when I went to the Marina office to pay, would you believe 90 bucks for two days! Sometimes peace of mind comes at an expensive price! But hey, Michele will sleep good tonight…