Morehead City as it turns out has the same problem as Oriental in the fact that derelict boats take up most of the anchorage behind Sugarloaf Island. This left us no choice but to anchor more towards the channel and into the current. Things were fine until about 10 o’ clock then the wind built up to 15-20 knots and was blowing perpendicular across the current. El Camino was riding forward over the anchor chain and bridal one moment and then back into proper position the next. Michele didn’t like this one bit and I was growing more uncomfortable by the minute. I couldn’t judge how far forward we were riding over the anchor and didn’t want to take the chance of it unsetting then resetting all through the night. At 11 o’clock the decision was made to try and tie up at a dock, any dock, as there was no room to re-anchor except in the same spot.
We pulled anchor and tried the dock at the dive company. Fighting both the wind and current I finally got the boat close enough for Michele to loop a line around a piling on the end of the dock. I thought I could spring in using the line, but with the wind blowing us away from the dock in one direction and the current moving us away in a different direction I couldn’t get the boat to swing into the dock. After several tries we decided to move on to the dock at Sanitary Restaurant. This was a little easier as the dock was about 150 feet long. After a couple of tries we did manage to get her tied up and secure for the night.
Up early because we knew that we had another 70 mile day ahead of us. This run kept us on our toes because the timing had to be just right to make the openings of the Figure Eight Bridge and the Wrightsville Beach Bridge and make Wrightsville before sunset. After getting through Figure Eight, we really pushed the engines to make the next opening of the Wrightsville Beach Bridge. If we missed the opening then the next one was at 7 o’clock and that would put us in a position of anchoring after dark. We could manage an after dark approach, but given the choice anchoring on the ICW with daylight is much more preferred. At 8.8 knots, I felt that was as hard as I was willing to push the Volvo’s. This put them at ten degrees hotter then normal but still within safe range. I called ahead with our ETA of 6:02 and the bridge operator said if we could make that time she would open, any later and no dice. We never slowed down all the way up to the bridge, the operator timed it perfect for us and we made it through. Whew. Twenty minutes later the hook was down at Wrightsville Beach..
The anchorage at Wrightsville. The dingy dock is in the right hand corner up by the bridge. Then it’s one short block to the beach!
Hey 50 percent off!!
One of the targets on the For Lejeune live fire range…