The cold fronts have moved though here it seems on a 5-7 day cycle. When I’m whining about it being only 60 degrees out, I just look at the phone pics our friends in Maryland send us showing how much snow they got. The wind that comes with the front though, has been a problem. I chose not to go up the mast yesterday and will not go up today. Just don’t feel comfortable up there when it’s blowing 20-25 mph. So what do you do when you can’t get to a project? Pull out the list and pick another one…
And that’s what I did. Decided to work inside and install the new vhf radio. Sounds so simple huh? The problem is my understanding of electrical systems is fairly basic and when things get complicated frustration sets in. Fortunately, the install was pretty straight forward. Here’s what a “simple” radio install looks like….
That’s another project on the list. Clean up the wiring! The finished product turned out ok I think. The old radio is above the new one. For now it will stay in place because it looks better than having a hole there. Still have to get my MMSI number and program it in the radio. After I get the chartplotter wiring ran I’ll connect the radio to the gps. It’s a safety feature in that when you press the “distress” button your gps location goes out with the distress signal. Here is the radio installed…
With that completed it’s on to the next project, rebuilding and cleaning the carb on the outboard. El Camino came with a Yamaha outboard and an Avon dinghy. The Avon was in such bad shape I cut it up and trashed it. The Yamaha was a mystery. It hadn’t been ran in 7 years and looked like it may have been stored outside. I knew that Yamaha built a great 15 horse motor, but when it started on less than ten pulls I was amazed! All I did was gas it up, never changed plugs or anything else. We took it for a few test runs and it did have problems at high speed and low speed running. It was a given that the carb needed going through. So a carb kit was ordered as well as new fuel pump diaphragms. With all the kits here now, it was time to get started..
The carb looked fairly clean with no varnish buildup and only one jet was partially clogged. The fuel pump diaphragms had no holes but looked to my eye to be slightly stretched. Blew carb cleaner though all the orifices and jets then put her back together…In the first pic you can see the fuel pump and the diaphragms, second pic, all together….
Reinstalled the carb and took her for a test run. Wow, what a difference! It was a little rough out so didn’t open her up all the way but I could tell she was running much,much better. The slow speed running was incredible. I could get the dinghy down to a crawl. The slow speed is important to us because when we go exploring we like to just slowly make our way along the bank and observe what nature has to offer. And now I feel I can trust the Yamaha to take us places and get us back.
So, two more projects off the list and only a few more days before we leave here. That’s a good thing because as nice as this place is, we’re chompin’ at the bit to go. I can see the look in Michele’s eyes. They’re lookin’ south!